Once we had the footage it was time to import and process.

The software used for such a feet was the Autopano Video Pro by Kolor.

I believe Kolor is a subsidiary of GoPro, which would make sense as the hardware and software go hand in hand together.

There is a fully licensed copy of said software in the University building.

One copy.

18195250_120332000417944241_1066834034_o18195609_120332000437810453_1663486204_o (1)

And the room it was installed in had been fully booked up for some time leaving us with no option but to use the free version obtainable from their website.



The free version can do all the things the full version can do, but limits your output video to 30 seconds and applies a couple of watermarks.

No bother. The software (if you have your files organised) will automatically pick up the metadata on the SD cards and stitch the footage together to create a flat image which can then be stitched into the shape of a ball.

It is very difficult to speak extensively about the edit due to the automatic nature of the software, but it is worth mentioning that due to the 30 second video limit, we had to set up a batch render which then worked overnight to process the entire video in chunks.

We then combined the clips in NLE software (Premiere Pro)

At the overlap points between the images there is a certain delay which is hard to explain physically, but it is due to the safe zones of each image being out of alignment.

Any attempt to rectify the overlap issues would result in more issues, so we just had to be thankful the footage has come out as clean as it has, regardless of perfection.

All of us knew perfection was a long way away when it comes to this nature of filming.

The audio and video were split, and although the omni had captured a fairly clean sound, the focus of the product is the music, so we had to treat that with the most care, taking it away and producing a clean audio file which could be reapplied to the video.

Finally we replace the live audio and we have an even cleaner product.

On top of this, there is a lot of background audio produced by me (phil) and Greg as we act out our bits in the video. By removing the live audio we have greater control over how the audio sounds. This is our main focus after 360°.

Video quality wasn’t excellent, and it’s something which needs improving before next 360 project. Even after a 1080p export we found there was a distinct drop in resolution. I read on a website that preserving the 4k output from the cameras is the best solution as I believe even if we did output 4k we would have continually lost quality as the different angles were compiled into video.





How ironic it is to make a blog post about how you don’t have anything to write a blog post about.

I’m watching ‘Breaking Bad: The Movie’, Something I described only seconds ago as ‘the greatest mashup of all time’

What has essentially been done is someone has made a full 2-hour feature length film consisting of parts of the series.

If you consider how much content is being cut out you realise how amazing it is that the story can still be followed, however in a more abridged sense.


Basically I already have my idea for a remix, the only thing potentially standing in my way is lethargy. I could be doing something, but no. I’m sat watching this.


More to come this week.

Time to Pfilter (Edit: Capital ‘P’)

Today’s the day I start applying myself to produce the 1 minute phone-produced-video for uni.

Ideas have been far and apart since the issuing of the task last Friday, so I thought the best place to start looking for inspiration was on the app store.

So away I went.

wavy phil.jpg
#BitCam – Photos only 😦

I’ll keep looking, but at the moment it’s looking like i’ll be deriving an idea from the content of the app, rather than having an idea and looking for apps which would make that idea a reality.

I have asked the folks over at r/askreddit for their suggestions of crazy, hidden, secret, exclusive apps which will make people go wow…

Pasty is nearly done.

Gather Round, Microphones


Yesterday was fun.

Working with my Sound Design group we plowed on with the production of the music track, set to be handed in in a month or so.

There was, up until today some turbulence regarding how we were going to tick all the creative boxes when it came to composing the live elements. I certainly felt it was unnecessary when all these sonic elements could be recreated using software.

Nevertheless we had the guitar down, having recorded several different parts of the guitar from the head of the guitar to that part of the strings near the bridge which produced that really punchy transient.

We ran what we had through effects such as: Reverb. That is all.

More to come. After guidance from Jos Hurst we are realigning our bow and gunning for the sunset.

Onwards, Nautical Engineers. No. Wait.

Onwards, Regular Audio Engineers but with a naval theme.